Friday, March 16, 2012

homemade cheez-its

Homemade Cheez-Its
image & recipe (adapted) via Christine's Cuisine

Cheez-Its are one of my many food downfalls. I ate countless boxes of Hot & Spicy Cheez-Its during my pregnancies. However, my family does not share my love of cheese crackers...they don't like the store-bought version or these! This recipe is quite good though and the cayenne pepper gives it a bit of a kick. Super easy to make and I would definitely make again (for myself!).

1 cup flour
4 Tbsp cold butter, cut into small squares
8 oz grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Kosher salt, for sprinkling

In a food processor, combine all ingredients (except extra kosher salt) and pulse until crumbly.

Add cold water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until dough comes together (I used 3 Tbsp. of water). Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes until chilled.



Roll out dough between two pieces of plastic wrap or parchment paper (in two batches). Roll out to 1/8-inch thickness and place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Use a pizza cutter to cut into 1-inch squares. Sprinkle with kosher salt.


Bake for 25 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Remove from oven when crisp and brown. Allow to cool and serve or store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails