Wednesday, April 14, 2010

CHEESY GOODNESS!

I am pretty sure that you all know by now that I am not a "fancy" cook, or a fancy anything for that matter. Meals at the house do not consist of "Soy Based Brandt Beef Shortribs" and "Seared Yellowfin Tuna" (and yes I had to look those up). But I like to think I'm a pretty good cook, and feel that it is very important to make home-cooked meals for my family as often as possible. And I try to make healthy dinners, but my posts seem to all consist of sweets and really fattening recipes? That's because those are the ones I really love! So once again, this was a fantastic, easy little meal...not something I would make every week obviously, but a treat once in a while. My husband's favorite food is grilled cheese sandwiches, so obviously he is the fancy one in the family. HAH!

THREE-CHEESE & TOMATO MELTS
photo & recipe (adapted) via Taste & Tell

Makes 4 sandwiches

8 slices of Crusty country-style bread (I used Italian)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
garlic-and-herb cheese spread, such as Boursin
4 thin slices of mozzarella
4 thin slices of provolone
slices of ripe tomato
fresh basil leaves

Preheat the sandwich grill (I just used a griddle). Place the bread slices on a work surface and brush 1 side of each with the olive oil. Turn and spread the un-oiled sides with the herbed cheese. On each of 4 of the slices, layer half of the mozzarella, then half of the provolone, tomato slices, and basil leaves. Divide the remaining mozzarella and provolone on top. Place the remaining 4 bread slices on top, herbed-cheese sides down, and press to pack gently.

Place the panini on the grill, close the top plate, and cook until the bread is golden and toasted and the cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes. Cut each sandwich in half on the diagonal and serve right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails