Monday, July 20, 2009

LOST ALL WILLPOWER?

Okay, I had some ripe bananas to use up, so I had a decision to make. I had two new recipes I wanted to try out (sick of banana bread): Banana Bundt Cake or Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting! Which one do you think won out? Knowing I was making a bad decision, I asked Danny for a second opinion...didn't take long for him to decide either. Banana Cake it was! Excellent choice taste wise, bad choice for my already expanding behind! I was doing so well too. I had made it through half my pregnancy without baking sweets, and now...I've caved. But at least I'm making sweets that involve fruit right? Well here it is, truly scrumptious!BANANA CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
via evilshenanigans

CAKE:
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla

FROSTING:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 9″ cake pans with non-stick spray.

Peel your ripe bananas and mash then with a fork until they are mostly mush. Pour the buttermilk into the bananas and mix well; set aside. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter and sugar until well mixed and lighter in color. Add the eggs one at a time and then the vanilla. Mix well. Add the dry ingredients and the banana mixture in three installments, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.

Divide the batter between the two prepared pans. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed and pulls away from the sides of the pan. Allow the cakes to cool for ten minutes in the pans, then turn out to cool completely on racks.

While the cake cools, prepare the frosting by creaming the cream cheese with the butter, then add powdered sugar and vanilla. Fill and coat the cake; chill for one hour before slicing. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails