Wednesday, May 4, 2011

MY CHILDHOOD HOME...ELM SPRINGS

I wanted to share a few photos of my family home--Elm Springs--in Missouri, where we just spent a long Easter weekend. And I have to say, for the first time, I looked forward to coming back to my new home (in Colorado) as much as I enjoy going to my childhood home. 
Elm Springs is a "Federal" style plantation home, built in 1840, by General David Thomson. This home has been in our family for almost 50 years. So needless to say, Elm Springs holds a rich history for my family as well as the many others that lived there prior to us. 
My Mother has done extensive work to both the inside and outside. I won't bore you with the details, but let me just say...the way it looked in the 70's compared to the way it looks now...wow!
Just an old barn you say? Not to me! This barn used to house my adorable, yet ornery, pony...Rusty Dusty! My first love. I spent hours and hours on that pony and I loved every single minute of it. Horseback riding has been a passion of mine since age 3 or 4. I can still picture him looking out that little window...
Little known fact about the Dow home. This tree, that seems to go up and up for miles is the largest hedge tree in Missouri, and yes we have a plaque to prove it! {haha} You can't see the base of it, but I believe (should have verified this with my Parents) it is approximately 30 feet around!  It sits right in front of our home and has split nearly in half over the years and we REALLY hope it never falls!!!
My Father is a an "avid" collector of various automobiles (new and very old) and this is one of those little gems that has gone to rest in pasture. I love the patina of this old Chevy.
Apparently I am somewhat obsessed with taking photos of the sky lately? This is a photo of the back ell of the home. My Parents have threatened to sell a few times (this house is big and requires a lot of work!) and each time, my Sister and I shiver with fear at the thought! We LOVE it here, our kids LOVE it here and it is our sanctuary. It is where we go to experience peace (and quiet when the Grandparents watch the kiddos), and where we "play" outside, and where we feel safest. Home sweet home...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails